I like sex. And so do you. And so do, apparently, the people of Hunstville, Alabama, where the first Drive-Thru Sex Toy Shop has opened in America this very day (November 13, 2010). In Alabama, laws exist that ban the purchase of various phallic objects because there is "nothing 'private' or 'consensual' about the advertising and sale of a dildo". Such items are deemed unfit for sale as a public activity (even though I would argue that these banned items are generally privately used) because of public morality.
Which makes me wonder, what is our public morality? In America, we have actors-who-play-teenagers posing scantily across the glossy pages of GQ magazine. Sex tapes are a dime a dozen and some "celebrities" are famous primarily for their tapes (Warning: Adult Content Included). Miss California made quite the scandal last year with an anti-gay marriage stint, followed by a sex tape, a battle of fake or not fake breast talk, a dethroning, concluded with a quick marriage. Miley Cyrus seems to come up with a new scandal once a week.
So really, with the overstimulation facing society today, should Alabama really expect anything else from it's citizens? Overt sexuality may be discomforting to some, but this open sexuality is overwhelmingly honest about the nature of sex today and should be advocated to begin honest and healthy conversations about sex in America.
So really, with the overstimulation facing society today, should Alabama really expect anything else from it's citizens? Overt sexuality may be discomforting to some, but this open sexuality is overwhelmingly honest about the nature of sex today and should be advocated to begin honest and healthy conversations about sex in America.
Let's take a different approach. Last I checked, ectogenesis has not yet been perfected (think Aldous Huxley's Brave New World), and therefore, sex is still necessary for the continuation of our species. Furthermore, with the vast developments in contraception widely available to larger public, sex has become an act associated with pleasure and expression and not limited to simply procreation.
It is not uncommon to take control of one's sexual life, engaging in activities that each individual (or couple, or group) finds satisfying. With the ability to control sexuality in such a powerful way, it is no wonder people have turned to practices that enhance the sexual experience with a whole host of new (and exciting) possibilities. Conclusion: People are going to have sex.
It is not uncommon to take control of one's sexual life, engaging in activities that each individual (or couple, or group) finds satisfying. With the ability to control sexuality in such a powerful way, it is no wonder people have turned to practices that enhance the sexual experience with a whole host of new (and exciting) possibilities. Conclusion: People are going to have sex.
As of January 2010, 46% of children aged 15-19 had had sex at least once. Genital touching and body exploration begins as young as three or four in children. Curiosity is natural, especially in children. Sex is a beautiful and natural act. Alabamans should not be banned from openly expressing their sexual desires. The shop is not forcing sex or masturbation on anyone (So don't you worry Christine O'Donnell). The shop is relatively discreet in appearance, and no one must enter unless they have a desire too. Hell, even if they have a desire for a product, they do not have to enter! That's what the drive-thru must be for! A one-stop shop where you are not even required to exit your vehicle to obtain all the materials needed for your pleasurable evening. Or afternoon. Or morning.
I honestly do not know how someone had not created this sooner. I do not consider myself any sort of closeted, sex-crazed nymphomaniac. I consider myself your average young adult: I am in no way ready to start a family, but am not ready to compromise a healthy sex life. There is no reason for me to forego taking necessary contraceptive precautions, taking off my clothes, and jumping in bed. And, should the moment be right, why should I be denied the choice of "spicing up" my evening with a quick drive-thru sex stop after a date? I tip my hat to you, Pleasures of Alabama.
Our public morality is not lacking. Our honesty is. And honestly, I like sex. So what if the cast of Glee also enjoys sex, as does Miley Cyrus, Miss California, and numerous celebrities with leaked sex tapes? Honestly, I would be more surprised if they did not enjoy sex. Yes, perhaps they should be more private with their excursions in the sack, but Hollywood’s (often overt) sexuality should not be condemned, but commended. Celebrities like sex. And so do you.
Perhaps if the rest of America (I’m talking to you Alabama Supreme Court), adopted an honest conversation about sex, taking control of your sexual life and making healthy decisions regarding sex, the communication of this culture could change to inclusivity and honesty.
Perhaps if the rest of America (I’m talking to you Alabama Supreme Court), adopted an honest conversation about sex, taking control of your sexual life and making healthy decisions regarding sex, the communication of this culture could change to inclusivity and honesty.
Alabamans may ask, why a drive through sex shop? But I’ll pose the more important question. Why the hell not?
THANK YOU!!! I find it absurd that we live in a society that pretends that sex does not happen, or for that matter, that anybody partaking in pre-marital sex is destined to hell. Sex happens. Interracial sex happens. Gay sex happens. Group sex happens. Pornographies are filmed. The open denial of such is astounding on so many levels. You couldn’t be more correct. Why the hell shouldn’t there be a drive-thru sex shop? I find it absurd, and you are correct to point out, that society is overly-sensitive. If you don’t like sex toys then don’t purchase them. If you don’t like porn then don’t watch it. If you don’t like sex then I’m sorry that you’ll be missing out.
ReplyDeleteThis post brings up an interesting parallel that seems more relevant by the day. The full image body scanners popping up in airports across the country have generated controversy on a national level similar to the debate about a drive-thru sex shop in Huntsville, Alabama. Opponents believe that it is an invasion of privacy for TSA officials to see an animated image of their uncovered bodies. In this case, I would argue that if you do not approve of the safety measures then don’t complain when a criminal or terrorist boards your flight with weapons and/or technologies that might harm you. Better yet, don’t fly. Such is the argument against opponents in Huntsville. If you oppose the drive-thru then don’t support it by giving it business. People need to stop trying to limit the freedoms of other people. If the actions of others don’t harm you physically or target you mentally then don’t concern yourself with their behavior. Thank you for showing common sense in the face of irrationality.
I am glad someone appreciates this! And I also agree about the TSA body scanners. I would much rather be safe than ashamed of my body.
ReplyDeleteI never did understand what the huge deal was about the Glee kids in that GQ spread... Isn't it some kind of an unwritten rule that celebrity-laden features in GQ and Cosmopolitan and whatever feature said celebrities scantily clad?
ReplyDeleteLike everyone else who commented, I don't see what the big deal is. Uncle Spam says that if you don't want to support the drive-through sex store, then don't. I think it's absolutely true that even if you personally find it distasteful or a moral outrage, that's okay too, but that in no way means that you can limit its availability in the community to others.
This is kind of a sidebar but... those crazy millimeter wave/backscatter x-ray scanners. Are there or aren't there health risks involved? Because if there are, that's my only issue with opposing/opting out of their usage for airport security.
The DHS says that the scan is equivalent to two minutes in a regular airplane flight. In reality, you would have to have more than 1,000 scans to reach the equivalent of one chest x-ray radiation.
ReplyDeleteNice Post! I am wondering if the drive through sex shop is appealing because you can remain kind of anonymous? Is it less personal or embarrassing? They totally found a niche market and I'm interested to see if it succeeds.
ReplyDelete